Saturday, August 3, 2013

Day 98--August 3, 2013

          Tonight Richard and I went to Gwennie's Old Alaska Restaurant.  This was our second trip there.  It has really good food and is decorated with stone walls and stuffed animals and artifacts that Alaska is known for.  Here are a few of the pictures I took while waiting for dinner to be served.
Richard in front of Gwennie's

Brown Bear next to our table

One of the old Artifacts

Stuffed beaver gnawing on a log

My dinner--Crab Benedict with a boat load
of grits covered with cheese cause.
          This order of benedict reminded me of one of the funniest things I ever witnessed in a cafe.  In 2008, Tom and Carole Neal flew in and stayed with us for about a week.  We took them back to Fairbanks to fly home.  It was a long ride and we spent the night in a lodge/motel along the way.  In the Rest Home News blog that I did, I wrote the following recount of what happened.  I still double over with laughter when I read this.  I swear it happened just like I said.  I didn't have to embellish at all.

From 2008 blog:

About 100 miles from Fairbanks, we decided to stop at a lodge and spend the night. It was a log cabin structure. Richard and I had a view of the lodge’s saloon and restaurant. Tom and Carole had a view of a junk pile. Richard and I slept peacefully with the windows open (no a/c). Tom and Carole listened to a generator kick on and off in the maintenance room next to theirs. For the first time in weeks, I got to watch a television with more than one channel and a clear picture. All in all, I was a happy camper.
We went to the restaurant for breakfast. We were trying to decide if we wanted a booth or a table when the waitress basically told us to make up our minds. The morning air wasn’t the only thing chilly around there.
Tom wanted eggs benedict, but he’d had experiences with some that didn’t fit his idea of the perfect presentation. So he asked the waitress (Miss Warm and Fuzzy) how they made their eggs benedict. Here is how the conversation went from there:
W&F We make it the normal way.
We are looked at her a little stunned.
W&F We make it with English Muffins and ham.
Tom Oh, I don’t want ham. I wanted Canadian Bacon.
W&F Well that’s what it is Canadian Bacon or ham. It’s the same thing.
Tom Okay can I get the muffin toasted and the Canadian bacon fried crisp?
W&F (She pointed to something else on the menu) Why don’t you just get this if you don’t want eggs benedict?
By this time, I was in hysterics. I couldn’t keep from laughing.
Tom settled for the eggs benedict–how ever they cooked it and we decided he’d better not complain because Warm & Fuzzy could knock him 9 ways to Sunday and he needn’t think he could look at us for help. First sign of trouble and we would be running for the hills.
It was sooooo funny.
Until next time,
Dolores



 

No comments:

Post a Comment