Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Day 102--August 7, 2013

Sea Lions--they are huge and can weigh up to 2,400 pounds
          Rained ALL day.  Nasty weather all around, but we still had a pretty spectacular day.  I went with Tiffany and her gang on the wildlife cruise and Fox Island experience.  This is the 4th trip our family members have been on this cruise in the last 5 weeks.  The first three saw all kinds of whales.  My 9-year-old grandson, Ty, wants to be an Ocra trainer.  I have only seen one whale in all my years of whale hunting.  Today, we didn't see not ONE whale.  I was more disappointed than Ty was not to have seen one, but we saw sea lions, beautiful 40 pound sea otters, hundreds of jelly fish, all different colors.  Eagle, kittywakes, Puffins, and many other birds. 
Sea otters lounging around Prince William Sound
They put rocks on their chests so they can pound crabs
against them and crack them open.
Ty and I lounging around Prince William Sound
 
          On Fox Island, we had an all-you-can buffet of salmon, prime rib, and king crab legs.  Even though it was raining and cold outside, we were nice and warm inside the boat.  Fox Island is about an hour ride from Seward and once was home to one of several fox farms which thrived from 1917 to 1941.  Farmers grew foxes and shipped their blue or Artic fox furs to London and Paris and red fox furs to the United States.  For some reason the American women preferred the red fur.  Go figure.  I would think the blue would be prettier.

Here's some pictures on the return trip:        


My moose buddy, Drew resting after his big adventure

Ty searched all day for Shamu, but never found him.

Tiffany and Mr. Jey
Picture taken by Drew
Until next time,
Dolores

2 comments:

  1. Not sure I would have been happy with the chill, but it sure looked like a great adventure anyway. Love otters. I've seen them pounding shellfish on their rocks on their chests - shows a remarkable resourcefulness to use a rock as a tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once saw one doing that in the water and a seagull was trying to take it away from the otter. The otter would hit at the seagull and the bird would jump to the other side. The otter would strike out again. I watched this out my bus windshield for about a half hour. It was sooo funny.

    ReplyDelete