Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 108--August 13, 2013

          Well, maybe I will blog tonight.  Richard and I planned many things for our family to see and do while here with us.  Now that they are gone, I keep thinking of other things we could have done, but there is only so much you can do in a day.
          We didn't make it to the Anchorage Zoo, but they have a live camera on during the day where you can go on the Internet and watch the polar bears play.

Live polar bear camera
         
          We could have taken the family to the Alaska Wild Berry Company.  There they have a 20 foot chocolate "Waterfall."  It is believed to be the largest of its kind in the world.  Using an idea conceived by Alaska Wild Berry Products' owner Peter Eden, Homer artist Mike Sirl designed and built the waterfall.  It contains 3,400 pounds of real liquid chocolate donated by Peter's Chocolate division of Nestle Foods and Guittard Chocolate Company.
That is liquid chocolate pouring from each of
the kettles high on the wall into a vat at the bottom.
 It's an amazing sight.  The whole place
smells like chocolate.
          I bought a small jar of fireweed honey.  If I like it, I'll pick up some more to take home to have with my tea.
          Across the street is a great restaurant we'd eaten at several times before.  It's called the Sourdough Mining Company.  If you are there during the evening meal, there is a show in a tent next door to the SMC.  When you eat there, you are given admission to the Dusty Sourdough show.  It's a neat show.  We didn't watch it tonight, but we have seen him on a couple of other occasions.
          Richard had Chicken fried Chicken with a pile of mashed potatoes you almost need climbing boots to get around.  I had a beef brisket and pulled pork combo with sweet bbq sauce, au jus, horseradish sauce, corn on the cob and a baked potato Paul Bunyun couldn't eat in one sitting.  I ate a lot and then packed the rest up to bring home.  Richard picked it up and almost lost it all in the floor.  He said, "Good heavens, did you stick your beer mug in the box, too?"
Strips of beef, shredded pork, part of a corn on the cob,
half of a baked potato, two sourdough rolls (We already ate two)
and all the sauces in the lid.
          I could say this is an unusually big serving, but it isn't.  Everywhere we go, the portions are meant for miners and mountain men getting ready for a long, hard winter.  I've been here so long, I think I could join them.

Until next time,
Dolores

2 comments:

  1. Now that is one waterfall I'd really enjoy! Just the smell of chocolate is wonderful. And the food all sounds delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really good. I'm going to have leftovers for lunch in about 20 minutes. (11:41 am here--3:41pm in Florida) BTW are you home?

    ReplyDelete