Thursday, May 2, 2013

Day 5, May 2, 2013


           Not that this is the first time I’ve set this goal for myself, but I have some pretty serious reasons (this time) for getting rid of my excess weight.  Since I’m not really under any stress (okay, I admit being in a 45 foot long motor home 24/7 times 4½ months with my darling hubby could possibly be a tad stressful) I’m going to devote this time to my health and well-being.
As I am analyzing what is my best plan of action to eat correctly and to exercise more.  Okay, I’ll rephrase that—and START exercising; I’m reminded of a Dolly Parton quote (the gal always knows what she is talking about).  She said:
“I tried every diet in the book. I tried some that weren't in the book. I tried eating the book. It tasted better than most of the diets.”
I put my best foot forward today and started on a exercise regime that I believe will work for me. First, this afternoon, I walked .7 of a mile to the ranger station.  Between here and there, are a few stretches that are nothing but woods.  I hoped Yogi and Boo Boo were eating lunch somewhere other than where I was.  By the time I got to the station I was wishing I had run into a bear that could put me out of my misery.
When I got there, I had to rest on a park bench to gather the strength to walk back to the bus.  If it hadn’t been for the Klondike Crunch ice cream bar they sell at the ranger station, which I ate while I was resting on the bench, I’m not sure I would have made it back.
What a great evening this turned out to be.  Little Roy and Lizzy and their band did a bang up job on their set.  They joined Jeff and Sheri Easter for the next set.  I know this won’t mean much to some of you, but to those who know the history of the Bluegrass Gospel group the Lewis Family, Little Roy’s sister, Polly is Sheri’s mother.  Polly has dementia and hasn’t been able to sing in quite some time.
Her most requested song was Slippers with Wings.  Tonight, Sheri sang the first part, her daughter Morgan sang the second part and they played a CD with Polly singing the third part.  Little Roy played the guitar and, just like he had for so many years, he sang the chorus.  I have to tell you, it was so beautiful it reduced me to tears.  One of the most touching things I’ve seen in a long time.
Another pleasant surprise was when I looked out of the concert tent and saw Billy and Merle Hurst strolling by.  They are long-time friends from Jacksonville, who moved to Elberton, Georgia about a year ago.  We had planned to go see them at the first of the week, but I’m glad they made it here to hear some of the music, and then we got to visit for a while.  Richard and I both enjoyed the visit and look forward to seeing them next week.  It’s been a long time since we’ve gotten to do that.
Until next time,
Dolores

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're having fun, but stay away from the ice cream bars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And just exactly what fun would that be? LOL

    ReplyDelete