Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 16--May 13,2013

          Shortly after my first book, Big Hair and Flying Cows, was released, I received a call from Program Coordinator, Pat Johnson from the Warren P. Sewell Memorial Library in Bremen, Georgia.  She said that she thought I had sneaked into town and stole my characters from the citizens of Bremen.  She asked me to do a booksigning.
          At that time, I had done a few signings, and although I've never been really comfortable promoting my books in the public eye, I agreed.  I have to tell you it is still one of my favorite signings of all times.  The ladies of the library had a reception for me, which consisted of refreshments and decorations of very creative ideas.  They had made pictures of cows and laminated them, then cut them out and attached a clip to the back of them.  All the ladies wore them in their hair.  There were all kinds of pictures and signs dealing with cows. 
          I met a lot of people from Bremen.  One was a lady named Tina who owns a towing company.  Pat swears Tina is Bertie.  I had so much fun and felt so special there.  The took a picture of me and all the ladies around me.  After they printed it out, they put it into a frame surrounded by resin cows, and, since that day,  I've had that framed picture on my table in my office.  It's very special to me.
          I returned to the library after the next two sequels of Big Hair and Flying Cows.  Each time was done with the same precision and fun as the first one.  For Barking Goats and the Redneck Mafia, I have a collection of goat pictures, Beware of Goat signs, a very neat bookmark with a goat on it.
          For Jail Bertie and the Peanut Ladies, they had T-shirts with wanted signs on them.  The food they served for the reception revolved around peanuts, like a peanut butter dip and apples.
          Since that time, Pat Johnson and I have become close friends.  A couple of years ago, she came to Jacksonville and spent several days with me.  We had a ball running all over town, seeing the sights, shopping and eating.
          Early this morning, we left Lincolnton, Georgia and headed west to Bremen.  I was treated to a tour of the new addition to the library.  It was so beautiful, bright, and had several areas inviting people to comfortable reading areas.  They still have my books.  I gave the library a copy of the new release of Little Big Heart by Salt Run Publishing.  Salt Run Publishing Check out their web site.  The CEO's, the Sharpe's are great people to work with, and dear friends, too.


 Lisa Walton-Cagle, Me, Pat Johnson
 
         Thanks for lunch, ladies.  It was short, but I enjoyed it very much.  Pat, I'll be in touch about that situation we talked about.  :-)  Keep in touch.
 
Until next time,
Dolores 


 

2 comments:

  1. What a fun and fabulous reunion. So glad your long anticipated trip is bringing so many rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard does make me laugh. But sometimes he doesn't mean to. LOL

    ReplyDelete