Sunday, May 12, 2013

Day 14 and 15--May 11 and 12, 2013

          The last night of the concerts went well.  A terrible thunderstorm headed our way, went around us.  So no rain for the concert.  The banana pudding went over well. 
          Today is Mother's Day.  There are four special ladies in my life that I believe are wonderful Mamas.  April, mother of my three step-grandkids, Taylor, Cheyanna, and Gregory.  Heather, mother of grandson Brody.  Samantha, mother of my two step-grandsons Chase and Travis.  And last, but definitely not least, my own baby girl, Tiffany, mother of Ty and Drew and step-daughter McKinley.  You all make me very proud of the women and mothers you've become.  I love you all very much.
          My own mother (Gloria Aurora Moro Morton) left us on May 28, 2006.  She suffered from a disease called Huntington's Chorea.  Huntington's disease is a neurodegenerative genetic disorder that affects muscle coordination and leads  to cognitive decline and psychiatric problems.  It typically becomes noticeable in mid-adult life.  HD is the most common genetic cause of abnormal involuntary writhing movements called chorea.  It's hereditary, but if it skips a generation, it stops there. 
          My mom's mother, my great-grandma, Mom's sister, my brother and several of mom's aunts and uncles on the Guthrie side of the family all had Huntington's.  There is no cure, but in the late 1980's a test to determine if the gene is present was discovered.  My sister was tested, but she didn't have it.  I've never been tested.  I didn't want to know if I had it.  I just wanted to live my life the best I could and hopefully have no regrets if and when the disease struck.  I've been told by my doctors that I'm too old now.  I would have had the onset in my early 50's.  Actually, I'm too old for a lot of things, but being too old for this one makes me very happy.
          I tell you all that to tell you about the day my mom passed away.  On Friday night my mentally disabled brother, Robin, was admitted to the hospital with kidney failure.  Saturday morning, I told Richard I really needed to go to Tampa to see about him.  My mom had been in a nursing home for five years and my 79 year old father (at the time, he's 86 now) was Robin's caretaker.
          I had a critique meeting to attend that day.  Richard picked me up in the bus and we towed my Jeep behind us.  It was evening by the time we got to the hospital, but my brother was awake and seemed to be doing fine.  I went back to see him on Sunday morning and then went by to see my dad at his house.  Richard stayed at the bus to do some maintenance.  I went to the nursing home to check in on Mom before I headed back to Jacksonville.
          When I got to Mom's room, there were several nurses around her bed.  One of them said, "Gloria, your daughter is here."  Then she said, "Well, that perked her up."  I stepped to the foot of her bed, touched her toes, and she took her last breath.  Something had called me to make that unplanned trip to Tampa that day.  I thought it was my brother, but it turned out to be my mother.
          I know everyone says the deceased is in a better place.  For my Mom, I KNOW that is true.

On a happier note:
          Today we went to Billy and Merle Hurst in Elberton, and Jennie and Terry Schofield from Simpsonville, SC joined us there.  We ate lunch and visited for several hours talking about the good old days.  Over a period of many years, we did have some good times. Merle has two daughters, Michell and Billie Jo.  Jennie has two boys, Jason and Jeff.  It was really good to see both couples.  Since I couldn't be home with my kids, I really appreciated being able to spend this special day with special Mama's.  Love you both.  Be sure to stay in touch.
 
 
Jennie, Merle, Me
 
Terry, Jennie, Richard, Merle, Billy  
         
Until next time,
Dolores
           




         

2 comments:

  1. I'm blessed that HD skipped you - how much poorer my life would be not knowing you, and everyone else whose lives you touch. Glad you had a nice Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Skye. You are a special friend for me. I hope your Mother's Day was good. I thought about Lori yesterday several times. I hope she had a peaceful Mother's day.

    ReplyDelete