Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 11--May 8, 2013

         Richard and I had a really special day with old, old friends.  I think I mentioned Billy and Merle Hurst in a previous blog.   Merle told me today that her oldest daughter, Michelle, recently celebrated her twentieth wedding anniversary.  I knew Michelle when she was in junior high school.  That's how long we've been friends.
          I remember Billy saying he'd like to retire and get a cabin in the mountains.  Well, he retired, so did Merle and they moved to the hills of northeast Georgia, but they didn't get their cabin.  They are the proud owners of one of the prettiest houses I've ever seen.  Beautiful porches built off of various rooms.  Merle has done a great job of decorating.  She has several vignettes that look like something out of Architectural Digest magazine.  Super job.  Actually, I saw at least two ideas I plan to steal when I get home.  :-)                    
                                                                   
Billy and Merle on their front porch
 
Rose bush in front of Billy and Merle's house
 
Little closer view of the Hursts
          They moved to Elberton, Georgia, where we happen to know a few people.  Al McCall is a young man who used to play banjo for Lizzy Long when she first started out with her own band.  Al's dad is Tom McCall, Georgia State House of Representatives.
          Located in Northeast Georgia, Elberton was incorporated on December 10, 1803. The city was first called "Elbertville" and named for General Samuel Elbert who fought in the Revolutionary War. Elberton sits near the center of Elbert County, 33 miles east of Athens and 110 miles east of Atlanta. Known as "The Granite Capital of the World", Elberton produces more granite monuments than any other city in the world. Elberton is also known for attractions including granite monuments, historic homes and architecture, beautiful lakes, historical theatre and downtown square, and the 20,000 seat Granite Bowl.
          This is the part of Georgia where my next book, that will be out in October, is set.  I love this area.
          Billy and Merle live on one of the lakes.  Richard Russell Lake.  Merle says it consists of 600 miles of waterway.  We are going back on Sunday and Jennie and Terry Schofield are coming down from Simpsonville (another set of old time friends who used to live in Jacksonville).  We may go for a ride on Billy and Merle's boat on the lake.
        We spent several hours with Billy and Merle and enjoyed a great lunch of grilled chicken, potato salad, green beans, fresh tomato slices, cream corm, rolls and Sock It To Me cake and ice cream.  The food was wonderful and so was the visit with Billy and Merle.
          We got back to Lincolnton in time for Richard to take a quick nap.  We gathered Lyle West and took him with us to have dinner with Carol and Walker Norman.  What a treat.  We had chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, white gravy, limas, biscuits, fresh onions, pickles and jalapeno peppers.  Carol also made a dessert type salad that was a new one for me and I loved it.  It was a great way to finish the day.  I'm glad we got to spend it with Lyle, too.  He leaves to go home to Alaska in the morning.
          I'm going to sign off now and roll myself to the bed.  I can't remember the last time I ate two big meals like that in one day.  I wouldn't have missed a bite of it, but Lordy, am I suffering now.

Until next time,
Dolores

  

No comments:

Post a Comment