Saturday, July 6, 2013

Day 69--July 5, 2013

          It's been a chilly, rainy day.  We've moved from Seward back to Anchorage.  We need to stock supplies for the first round of family coming in on Tuesday evening.  Richard had a few errands to run before we pulled out.  We had to stop in Moose Pass to have something done to the van we are pulling.  (More on that later). 
          It was about 5:00 when we got to Beluga Point, a stopping spot on Turnagain Arm.  I was watching for the Bore Tide that comes in there and Richard took a nap.  We ate dinner there, and then pulled back onto the highway to finish our trip to our friend's house in Anchorage.  We had only gone about 4 miles when I heard a siren. 
          You guessed it.  He was behind us, blue lights flashing.  Richard pulled over, got all his papers out and met the trooper at the door.  He told Richard they are very strict with the rule that if you have more than five cars behind you, you must pull over and let them pass.  Richard tried to tell the officer that he'd only pulled out a few miles back and he was doing 53 in a 55 zone.  The officer agreed that Richard was doing 53.  Richard explained he was aware of the law and that he always pulled over when traffic built up behind us. 
          Traffic was bumper to bumper north and southbound.  It was crazy.  There was a tour bus behind us and all the cars were behind him.  Yes, it was all as confusing at it sounds.  The officer told Richard he would run his license and then just give him a warning. 
          I was sitting back at the table, writing the next great American novel and I kept saying to my dear, patient husband, "you can go to court on Monday and complain.  You watch enough COPS to know not to say anything.  With the way things are going for us with the authorities, this could get ugly."  Luckily, when the trooper came back he didn't issue a warning.  He knew he was wrong.  We were moving with the traffic and the steady stream of vehicles that continued to pass us while we were waiting on him never eased up.  The officer literally had to stop traffic so we could get back on the road.
          My new work-in-progress is a murder mystery.  That stop certainly got my creative juices flowing.  I had no trouble putting an end to one of my characters.  LOL
          I have a couple more flower pictures I want to share. 
      This is fireweed.  Summer had a late start this year, so most of the wildflowers aren't in full bloom yet.  Fireweed is my favorite.  As the summer goes on this beautiful flower will continue to grow in massive cluster along the highways and along river banks.  The blooming starts at the bottom of the stalk and continues to bloom until the end of August.  When they blossoms reach the top of the stalks, the native Indians knew summer was over and cold weather was on its way. 
          There is also a plant call Alaskan cotton.  I didn't take this picture, but this is what it looks like.

          Right now, the breeze carries all the white fluff through the air, and it looks like it is snowing.  They are about twice the size of a dandelion when it goes to seed. 
          Along the highway, the part that isn't covered with fireweed, there are long strips of Alaskan Lupines.  I didn't take this picture either, but I want to give you an idea how beautiful they are.  Picture miles and miles of this purple flower and then miles of the pink fireweed.  BTW, they make jelly and ice cream using the fireweed.
 
 
Until next time,
Dolores

 

3 comments:

  1. These are lovely pictures. I've always been a sucker for wildflowers and at one time planted an entire bed of them around my house. I wish I'd had some of that gorgeous fireweed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flowers, again. We had a similar flower that grew in great abundance in the drainage ditch in front of the YMCA where I once worked. The maintenance man was pulling it all up one day and I asked why and was told it breaks up the cobble lined trench. So, I put it all in bags and took it to my damp field in Maine where it flourished. I never knew what it was called. I wonder if it was a relative? Same color, same growing pattern though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which flower? I know for sure the Lupines are in Maine and up into Canada. I don't know about the other two. When we went to Prince Edward Island, the Lupines were everywhere. We would come over a hill and see the stretch of farm land covered with different shades of green like a patchwork quilt and it would also have blue Lupines mixed in. Very beautiful.

    Of course, Prince Edward Island was magical to me because it was the land of Anne of Green Gables.

    ReplyDelete