Thursday, June 11, 2015

Day #7

      Wow!!  I had the best time today. When I was a kid growing up in Tampa, I LOVED going to Lowry Park and Fairyland.  When friends and relatives would come from West Virginia to visit, Fairyland was always high on our must-see list.  They had large concrete statues depicting fairy tales and nursery rhymes along a winding path under oak trees.  You entered the whimsical park over a large rainbow bridge.  Cinderella's carriage was among the statues.  The old woman and her shoe.  The whale that swallowed Jonah was there, too.  You could walk in his mouth.  Since Disney World hadn't been built yet, I believed this was as close as I'd ever get to Disneyland.

The old rainbow bridge to Fairyland, Lowry Park Zoo, c. 1980

     Then it had a small zoo, but now it's huge.  In 2008, Parent's Magazine picked Lowry Park Zoo as the #1 family friendly zoo in the US.  We were there for four
hours.  It was really hot, but it didn't rain.  So, all in all, it was a perfect day.



Lowry Park has a night-time show with Chinese
lanterns all through the park.  This is a replica of
Manfeilong Pagoda in southeast China.  It is made
entirely of 68,000 porcelain plates, cups and spoons.
They are all blue and white.  I would love to make
one of those from the collection of blue and white
plates I have gathered over the years.


The zoo has several white rhinos.  They are really
gray, and they are in the neighborhood of
6,000 pounds.  I never realized how huge they are, but the guy told us they are the second largest
animal next to the elephant.


The brown thing is a medium-size
stingray.  We got to pet them.
That was really fun and something
I've never done.  Neat.

Brody and Drew in
a hurricane simulator.
Pretty interesting.


Drew in front of the
manatee exhibit.  He didn't see
the turtle behind him. 

Ty, Brody, Drew
in front of the African
penguins exhibit.  If you
look closely over Brody’s
head, you can see one of the
penguins.


This picture is for my sister, Nancy. 
I’m not sure what kind of birds these are
but they look like flamingos hanging
out in the trees.


Brody inside a hollowed-out
cypress tree.
 
 
Until next time,
Dolores 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic place! I wish I'd known about that place when I visited Tampa. Carry on with your mission and have another great day tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to Lowry Park. Now I want to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing things. Never heard of this place before, but I'd love to go there. These boys are so lucky. This is a vacation they'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete