Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Day 50-52—June 15-17, 2013


I’ve taken a couple of days off from writing my blog, but not from enjoying the breathtaking views, talking with interesting people and learning a few new things.
We were welcomed to Fairbanks to the hottest weather in many, many years (if ever).  It’s been as high as 88, and that is hot back in Florida.   Hardly anyone has air conditioning in their homes or their cars.
We are parked at Lyle’s son’s place.  Gene has a nice piece of property and lives in a house Lyle build many years ago.  There are several things going on during the next ten days, and I’m happy to be part of it.  Richard is thrilled to a part of it!!!  He is like a kid in a candy store.
Last week, Lyle’s 74 year old son, Larry passed away in his sleep.  His wife, Vivian, invited Lyle and us over for pie and ice cream on Father’s Day.  There were five generations there.  The homemade pies were really, really good.  I loved their house, which Larry and Vivian had built.  There were several very beautiful pictures done in different mediums.  Vivian’s daughter, Cindy (Lyle’s granddaughter) had painted or etched them with pencils.
After talking to Vivian for a while, she mentioned that she ran a bed and breakfast in her home for sixteen years.  Since the new series I am working on takes place in a bed & breakfast in Georgia (cozy mystery), I was quick to pick her brain about the business.  I loved listening to the stories of some of her clients.  All the younger people went outside to play in the sprinkler.  Gene, Lyle, Richard, Vivian and I stayed in the family room with a nice breeze coming through the open windows and a great view off in the distance.
Vivian and I talked for so long that the three guys all went to sleep.  It was a very enjoyable afternoon.  She had a green thumb.  She had many African Violets, but I loved her orchids.  They were beautiful.
Vivian West Orchids

Monday the three guys and I went to Wal-Mart and Sam’s.  On the way back to the bus, Gene said he had something else he wanted to show us.  We pulled into a place known as a transfer station.  (I think that’s what he called.)  Anyway, it was a large, fenced area.  The whole perimeter of the area was lined with commercial dumpsters except for the back corner which had a concrete pad with a roof over it.  What happens here is when people have items to go to the dump they place them in the concrete pad area.  Other people come along and go through all the items laid out there.  It’s dumpster diving without having to dive into an actual dumpster.  I think this was the coolest idea.  Gene found a book and a Tijuana postcard from the 1920’s maybe.  He gave them to me.  I’m actually going to send the postcard to someone.
Richard at the Transfer Station
 

Gene and Richard discussing the many purposes of
the wheel they just found among all the treasures

 
Cousin Sandy:  You and Jerry would love the transfer station.
Monday and Tuesday I cooked for Lyle and Gene:  Slow cooker pork roast with rolled dumplings, pea salad, biscuits, and Hershey Bar Pie.
Tuesday:  Spaghetti and Meatballs, leftover pea salad, homemade focaccia bread, and banana pudding.
Let me tell you about the pea salad.  Everyone makes the layered salad where you put everything in a clear bowl (trifle bowl) and top it all with mayonnaise.  Then you dip down in a get a little of everything, but I’ve always found that most people don’t go down far enough in the bowl to get the whole effect.  My pea salad is a twist on that, but easier to dip up.

Dolores’ Pea Salad
Romaine lettuce sliced thinl
Green onions sliced thinly
Bacon fried crisp, crumbled
Tomatoes, diced
Shredded Romano cheese
Frozen Peas thawed
Mayonnaise thinned with a little milk
Mix everything together.  Chill until ready to serve.  This holds up well and can be eaten the next day, too.
Until next time,
Dolores 

6 comments:

  1. Sigh. I envy you going to such interesting places and seeing such fascinating folks. The orchids are gorgeous - my favorites.

    I enjoy the chronicles of your travels. Keep safe and happy and come back to us in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. We'll definitely be back in Florida when the weather is a little cooler.

      Delete
  2. Last time we were in Fairbanks, there was a Sam's and a Fred Meyers but no Walmart. Fairbanks is growing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The also have a big Barnes and Noble. Going there tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for keeping us all up to date on your travels. I love reading what has been happening. I'm really sorry about Lyle's son passing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful orchids! My dump in Maine was like that - we found some neat stuff there from time to time. Come to think of it, the one at the lake this summer is like that as well. Typical Yankee, "use it up, wear it out, recycle" mentality. Glad you are having a great vacation and enjoying the scenery.

    ReplyDelete