Friday, June 14, 2013

Day 46-47


June 12, 2013
Brown Bear on hill above road
Stone Sheep
     We left Fort Nelson and made our way toward Watson Lake.  We would consider this the jackpot day for wildlife.  No, not Richard and I, but actually wildlife along the roads.  We saw so many bears we lost count.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12.  We saw three brown bears and the rest were black bears.  One was a mama with three cubs.  They were really cute and didn’t care if we watched them eat dandelions by the roadside.

Mama Black Bear
                                                                   
                                                               Cubs

Caribou

Buffalo
    
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     Watson Lake is one of my favorite stops on the Alaskan Highway.  At the end of town is an area they call the WATSON LAKE SIGNPOST FOREST.  A US Army soldier who was working on the Alaskan Highway in 1942 added a sign to a post.  Travelers have been adding signs since.  Last count, they numbered around 72,000 signs and license plates from all over the world.  We have one in there somewhere, but couldn’t find it this time.  Richard’s brother Howard and his wife Mary Jane added one many years ago.  Jack and Jeannie Dickson added one in 2008 when we were here together.  When I say they are from all over the world, I mean it.  Check this out Walker and Carol Norman.  LOL
Watson Lake Signpost Forest
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Check this out, Walker and Carol Norman
 
 
June 13—
     Tonight we are in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory where Sgt. Preston used to live.  I’ve been looking for him, but no luck yet.  We ate at the Klondike Rib and Salmon Barbeque tonight.  It was really good, but the best part was dessert.  I had my first piece of Fruit of the Forest pie on this trip.  They called it something else like Rumble Bumble pie.  Blackberries, raspberries, rhubarb, and apples at its finest.
     I was first introduced to this wonderful pie on my first trip to Alaska.  That and steamers, which is a whole ‘nuther story.  I’ve tried every recipe under the sun to try to duplicate it, but I’ve never had much luck.  I’ve begged the bakers for the recipe, with absolutely no luck.  So, I have to be happy stopping at the lodges along the way, hoping for a piece of pie.
     Speaking of lodges, there are very few “towns” along the Alaskan Highway.  Instead, they have communities that are made up of lodges.  They are spread many miles apart.  The first time we came to Alaska, most of the lodges were active and so much fun to visit.  Most have a restaurant, pub or saloon, few motel rooms, maybe one or two fuel pumps, souvenir store, and most have bakeries.  Each has a different specialty to make them unique. 
     Toad River (Mile marker DC 404.1) has been a fixture on the highway since 1950.  What makes it unique is its collection of hats nailed to the ceiling and wall.  Last count more than 6,800 hats.  Today, it is still opened.
     One of my favorite, Johnson’s Crossing made world famous cinnamon buns, as big as dinner plates.  It, like way too many other ones we passed today, was closed.  Lodge after lodge sat boarded up.  Many in disrepair.  It made me sad to see places that had brought so many (especially me) happiness closed up tight.  Okay, what part of dinner plate cinnamon buns and Fruit of the Forest pie didn’t you understand?

        Today we stopped at the Continental Divide Lodge to see if they had any FPTF pie.  They didn’t, but they had some beautiful home-made blueberry scones.  I didn’t buy any, because I was on a quest for the pie. 
 
 
 
 
Continental Divide Pub

Beautiful sights along the way
 
Muncho Lake in the Northern Rockies
Blue and green water attributed to copper oxide
leaching into the lake


    
 
 
 
 
 




 
Somewhere along the Alaskan Highway between
Watson Lake and Whitehorse
      Tomorrow, we cross the border from the Yukon Territory to Alaska.  The first town there is Tok.  I’m a little nervous about the crossing.  If you aren’t sure why, please refer to June 1, 2013 entry of this blog.  I bought me a rabbit’s foot for luck.  I hope we aren’t stopped for transporting animal parts.  Cross your fingers and say a prayer that we are back on US terra firma by tomorrow night. 
     Oh, wait, doesn’t terra firma mean solid/firm ground?  Doesn’t Alaska have earthquakes?  Good heavens, I’m not sure what to worry about first.  Border patrol?  Earthquakes?
Until next time,
Dolores       


2 comments:

  1. Your photos brought back memories of my trips to Alaska. But how did you make it past Whitehorse without a side trip to Skagway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheri, because of all the delays with side trips, we didn't really have time to go to Skagway. I've been several times and I love the place. My favorite place is the Red Onion which was a brothel at one time and now is a restaurant and brothel museum upstairs. At one time it had a major collection of bedpans. The last time we were there, many of the bedpans were gone. We asked about that and was told the owners divorced and one of them got to keep most of the bedpans. Hysterical!!

    ReplyDelete