Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 37--June 3, 2013


              We had another interesting day.  I don’t know what Richard and I will do when all our drama stops.  I had gotten my prescriptions taken care of before I left home, but there were a couple that I could only get a month at a time, so I would have to go to a pharmacy, and they would call back to Jax to transfer my meds.  I’ve done this all over the US. 
                This morning before we pulled out I wanted to make sure they were are ready to be transferred to a pharmacy here in Canada.  Guess what?  The US can’t transfer prescription to Canada.  Luckily, we’ve been traveling close to the border between the US and Canada.  Soooooo, I had to call to the pharmacy at two places in a city back in the US.  Yes, another trip through the border.  Richard wanted me to go with him, but I’m still suffering from the post-traumatic stress disorder I developed on June 1.
                So he jumps in the Jeep and heads across the border.  About two hours after he left, the fraud department of our bank called to let us know his credit card is being used in the US then in Canada and back in the US.  I asked if it was in the city and state where he was picking up my meds.  She said she couldn’t talk to me about it.  I gave her Richard’s number and she called him and it was all worked out, but not before his card shut down the pharmacy’s computer.  He called a few minutes later and said he would be heading back across the border,and I should keep him in my prayers.  Actually, I HAD been praying since he’d pulled out, but it was that I didn’t have to drive the bus back across the border.
                Now, that wasn’t the only drama we encountered today.  Since we didn’t know we were going to have a problem with the prescriptions, we were packing up the bus to get ready to move deeper into the interior of Canada.  You know, up where Big Foot lives.
                I had just taken the following picture out the side window of the bus of a peaceful dandelion area.
Richard was just ready to step out the door when I caught a movement right outside the front window. It was a bear.  Not a cute little rolly polly fellow.  Big, tall Smokey the Bear, minus the ranger hat.  The owner of the campground was chasing him back into the woods with his pick-up truck.  The bear circled around and came right out behind our bus headed for my dandelion patch. 
Since we still had to disconnect the electric and sewer hose, I was elected to stand guard at the back of the bus.  I really thought I would feel safer if I had a shotgun.  Here is what our shotgun looks like when the border patrol gave it back to us.  Please note the security measures the authorities used disable this weapon. 
  
If the bear came back, I had two hopes.   (1.) He would recognize that I was holding a weapon and shuffle his big, furry butt back into the woods.  Or, (2.) I could beat him to death with the butt of the gun.  Thankfully for me and the bear, I didn’t get to find out how that would have worked out for us.
A short while ago, a friend of mine sent this cute video.  I hope I can upload it and you can see it.  While you watch it, keep in mind that Richard has decided he is going to get up early and wait for our bear and see if he can teach him to do some of the tricks the Awesome Bear can do.
 Awesome Bear

I'm a little concerned about the part where the bear goes between the man's legs, but whatever happens I'll be standing by with my trusty shotgun and camera.  Film at 11.
Until next time,
Dolores

3 comments:

  1. Ya think there's any chance that one of these day's you'll get on this blog to say NOTHING happened today?? Of course, you had to know that a trip to the drug store was not going to be just a trip to the drug store. Never mind the bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You live such an exciting life...no wonder you've got such good material about which to write! As a bear to the Native Americans I know, I'm glad you didn't have to beat "my brother" to death.

    Take care and have a blissful uneventful day!

    ReplyDelete