Saturday, September 7, 2013

Day 133--September 7, 2013


Terry Bison Ranch Part #2
 
          Richard and I have made about 5-6 stops at the ranch.  By now, we have seen most of it.  One time when we were there, before the train was built, we loaded onto an old school bus with the folding doors.  In the middle of the pasture, surrounded by bison, the driver got out, left the door open, and fed the animals some kind of pellets.  While he was doing this, a giant bison came to the door.  He very much wanted to join us, but his head was waaayyy too big to fit through the door.  Since that was the only door, and the windows only come down a little at the top, there was no way I could 1.) climb out the window  2.) find the courage to bail out into the rest of the herd 3.) nor would fit through the window.  So, I sat patiently like the other wide-eyed people to see what would happen next.
          Finally, after pushing against the bus and rocking it a little, the bull decided he didn’t like the way we smelled.  He snorted one good time and walked back to the guy with the pellets.  I think some of his snort got on me.  That was fun.
          A few years later, we did get to ride the train, and the only thing I remember about that was the cowboy guide who looked like he just stepped off a Harlequin cover.  Holy cow was he a cutie.  I have children older than him, but I kept wondering how inappropriate would it be to ask him to remove his shirt.  I didn’t though.
          They have a great restaurant there.  It is named the Senator’s Steak House.  It’s huge and all done in log cabin/western motif.  They serve the finest bison I’ve ever eaten.  I had prime rib one time and I never forgot it.  This time I had bison short ribs, loaded baked potato, and yummy grilled veggies.
 
          One of the first times we ate there, they had Rocky Mountain Oysters on the menu.  I had an idea of what they were, but I didn’t want to miss out on it being something different and maybe discover a great new recipe.  I asked the young lady what they were, and she excused herself and went to the kitchen, I assume to ask.  She came back and with the straightest face ever she said, “They are buffalo balls.”  At which point I must have made a bad face because she became very defensive and informed me, “Well, they come with horseradish sauce.”  I tried so hard not to laugh at her.  Tried, but didn’t succeed.
          Do you know what advice a cow gives?  Turn the udder cheek and mooove on.
          Do you know why they fired the bowlegged cowboy?   He couldn’t keep his calves together.  Just a little cowboy humor.  Very little, I know.
          When I decided to write a sweet Southern romance, I immediately wanted it to take place on a dude/working ranch, but really wanted it to have more of a Southern feel.  So, I placed Katy and Tyler’s story on a guest ranch in Georgia.  In the process of developing the Brass Rooster Guest Ranch, I’ve pulled from some of the things I’d learned about Terry Bison Ranch.  I have incorporated a few of the activities into the first book, and I hope to expand on them if I sell more books in the series. 
          Dixie Cowboy is scheduled for release by Bell Bridge Books in October, 2013.
In the meantime, here’s a blurb—
          A dude ranch in the Peach State? A pretty loan officer who ditches her job rather than foreclose on the family that’s run that ranch for generations? A handsome southern he-man who needs an office assistant? How can a city girl resist a Dixie cowboy? Katlyn Mays gets more than she bargained for when her rebellion leads not only to a wonderful new home but also into the arms of Tyler Davis. He doesn’t suspect that her father is the banker who intends to take everything he loves, including her.
Until next time,
Dolores

No comments:

Post a Comment