Tuesday, May 14, 2019


Ah! Summer Vacation

          Most of you know that for many years Richard and I have traveled the United States on summer vacations.  This year is no different except the extent of our happy journey.  We are going to stay in one of our favorite places for a whole year.
          NORTH TO ALASKA has taken on a whole new meaning.  Just a little introduction of main characters may be in order.  And, the answer to the most asked questions I’ve been faced with in the past few weeks.
          Traveling in their own motorhome with Richard and me is an old friend I graduated from high school with.  Jim (James Morris). We attended Franklin Jr. High, in Tampa, Florida and King High School in Temple Terrace, Florida.
Jim, Becky, Me, Richard
Notice the cute sign they put on
the back of their bus.
          My maiden name is Morton.  So Morris and Morton were always together in the same homeroom.  We had other classes together through the years, but for sure we started our day off in the same room.  I remember Jim as one of the most thoughtful, kindest, and funniest people I hung around with.
          Jim and his wife, Becky, have been married for 30+ years.  Becky and I instantly hit it off.  She and I start laughing as soon as we are together.  It started when she volunteered to carve the Thanksgiving turkey in our tiny motorhome.  I’d neglected to securely lock the lift-up counter space.  It fell and in a perfect BERTIE MOMENT, after a little slipping and sliding in failed attempts to catch it, the turkey splattered into the floor. We used the 10 second rule and rinsed it off.  It was pretty good.  I might scrub all my turkeys before carving them from now on. Becky reminds me of my cousin, Sandy.  I think the three of us could definitely strain something should we ever get together.
          Richard (my dear, loving husband of 44 years) is still the same, with no signs of changing.  He jokes in some of the ways Jim does, but when it is given back in the same manner, Richard doesn’t understand.  Let’s just say that sometimes he leaves his sense of humor in his back pocket.  For example, he had made it plain he did not wish to drive through Chicago.  So, Jim tells him over the CB (?) radio that we are getting on I-75, North to Chicago.  Richard was sputtering so much I thought he might choke.  Shortly, Jim came back with the true directions of I-24 to Nashville.
          Then there is me, Dolores J. Wilson.  I’m a wife, mother, grandmother of 9, and a published author of Women’s fiction, both happy and sad. I’m a crafter, and a cook who is excited about fixing all kinds of food for people who enjoy eating.  Unfortunately, my husband is not one of them. 
          Some of the questions I’ve been asked is why?  Because spending a year in Alaska to experience all the seasons and the Northern Lights has been on our Bucket List for years.  Richard is 75 and I’ll be 70 in a few weeks.  As Elvis sang, It’s Now or Never.  I’ll have more details in a later blog.
          Next: Are you crazy?  You’re going to freeze to death.  Well, my answer is that I thought my degree of craziness had been established years ago.  And I had no intention of freezing to death because I don’t plan on leaving the house if the temperature is below 50 degrees.
          I’m going to try to post a blog page at least 3 times a week.  Please leave your comments so I know who has read the daily post to Blame it on the Paste.

Until later,
Dolores
Post #1 2019

17 comments:

  1. What an awesome adventure - although it was significantly warmer, my two years in the South Pacific was an adventure I will never regret. I think we only regret the chances we didn't take. Have a wonderful year. I'll miss thinking of you being down there in that blue roofed home whenever my plane takes off or lands at JAX, but will think of you anyway, a long way from there. And as the sailors say, Wishing you fair winds and following seas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Skye. I miss so many of my fellow writers. I'm hoping that by the time I get back next years, my writing career will be back up and running. Keep in touch.

      Delete
  2. I’ll be reading and looking forward to each post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in touch Cheri. And tell Norman hello for us.

      Delete
  3. So happy to see this. Always such a joy to follow your funny, informative blog!! I will enjoy rhe adventure. Safe and fun travels!! Much love!! Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet Sue. So far, we are having a good time. I'm really enjoying the friends traveling with us. TTY soon. Love to you and Mike.

      Delete
  4. I hope you get this. I can't wait for July. Ronnie and I are going Lancaster Pa in September or October. I have never been there. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please give Ronnie a hug for me and tell him how much I appreciate him taking my dear sister to places she has never been. Can't wait to see you both again in a few weeks. I'll tell you about a few places to go in Lancaster when you come visit us. Love you.

      Delete
  5. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures during the next year! Have fun and be safe! Joyce Harris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joyce. Keep in touch. Love to you and your special family.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks,Kathy. Been trying to keep up with your success. Bless you. Keep in touch.

      Delete
  7. I am looking forward to reading about all of your Alaska adventures. From a fellow Franklin Junior High School and King High School Class of '67 classmate, I wish the four of you a Safe and Exciting trip filled with wonderful memories.................Ken Brewer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very excited to see you guys when you're here!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok, Dolores, don’t spill all of our secrets! How awesome it is to be traveling with a kindred spirit on this trip of a lifetime. All I can say is it’s a good thing we have very active senses of humor; otherwise I’m not sure we’d have survived I-29 north, then south, then go east, back west, and finally proceed north. I think I need cookies now.

    ReplyDelete