Saturday, April 28, 2018

Day 1—April 28, 2018
     Hi everyone.  I hope you had a wonderful Saturday. The trip from home to Lincolnton, Georgia was great.  The country roads were lined with wildflowers.  The sky was almost solid blue.  Only a few puffy clouds. Of course, with my imagination, the few clouds floating above had shapes in them. One looked like Snoopy asleep on his doghouse. Another was a bear claw—the animal type, not the delicious, crusty, sweet pastry.  But I digress.
     Now that it is time to write about the day, I couldn’t decide what to write about.  What I saw? Who I saw? What I was thinking? Where did I hide the body?
     Speaking of Richard. He has been wound tighter than the shoes I bought online from Japan.  Those ladies have small feet. Okay, maybe my feet aren’t as dainty as theirs.  And the shoes were sooo cute. They had little yellow ducks on them.  I wanted to wear them when my sister (who is going with us to Canada) wore hers with flamingos on them. Hey, we are West Virginians, raised in Tampa, and King High graduates.  Let it go.
     Okay, back to Richard.  I’m hoping he comes down to the solid ground, gets some rest, and has some fun for a change. If he doesn’t, and my kids receive a large UPS box, please tell them to open it immediately, because they will only let me put 1 bottle of Zephyrhills water and 2 packages of peanut butter crackers in the box. If that happens, I will have to hire someone to drive the bus for me.  My only requirements are they must be over 18, can drive a bus, and that HE speaks English. 
)()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

     Okay, I want to at least touch on a serious subject. Tomorrow I'll write more about it. When we arrived in Lincolnton after dark tonight, Bonnie and Little Roy Lewis picked us up and took us to the movable Vietnam Veterans Memorial Replica.  It is quite a site lit with bright lights, backed by the darkness of night and a huge bright moon.
     As I touched some of the names, chills crawled over my entire body. Sadness came as I remembered each of the boys I graduated with whose name is forever engraved on the wall.  We took pictures of two of them.  It takes quite a while to look them up and then go find them.  I’m going back tomorrow to find a few more I know of.  If there is anyone you’d like me to look up, let me know before noon tomorrow at the comment section at the bottom of this post or go back to Facebook.

Let me hear from you whenever you can.  Writing these posts is fun for me, but knowing there are people reading them is even funner. All my writer and teacher friends, I know that isn’t a real word, but it’s my word. 
The Wall That Heals

Greg Denton
Allen Mooney


Later,
Dolores

11 comments:

  1. Denice and I have many school mates on that wall. Very humbling when you see all those names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read about the rest of your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy reading of your adventures, although traveling with y’all would be funner. ;-)

    I visited the Vietnam Memorial in Washington DC It is sobering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks for following us. We were going to come and see you, but that was when Rachel got sick. We will make it there when we get back.

      Delete
  4. So excited to follow your travels and hilariousness (is that a word?) Have fun and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your "blog"! Will keep up with you as you share your adventures! Hope Richard unwinds, would hate for you to ship him UPS! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to reading about your travels. I always enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen the moving wall, but I have been to the Wall in Washington DC many times. Every time I've felt that tug of emotion and loss. So many good men, some only boys. One of my childhood friends is on that wall, and my brother's best buddy who died in his arms in a jungle waiting for a dustoff that never came.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait until you try to get into Canada again- I bet they'll remember you!!

    ReplyDelete